Approved by the Decision of AEO “Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools” Board № 39 dated August 15, 2016
(with amendments dated 17.08.2017 №42, 22.08.2018 №48; 17.01.2019 №2; 15.08.2019 №37)
Rules for criteria-based assessment of student achievements in Autonomous Educational Organization “Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools” for Grades 1-11 students
1. General Terms
- The Rules for criteria-based assessment of student Achievements in Autonomous Educational Organization “Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools” (hereinafter the Rules) for Grades 1-11 students define the order of organization and administration of student achievements’ criteria-based assessment for students of AEO “Nazarbayev Intellectual schools” branches, the principal activity of which is the educational activity (hereinafter – Intellectual schools), learning under the NIS- Programme approved by the decision of AEO “Nazarbayev Intellectual schools” Board #41 dated August 16, 2017.
- This Rules are applicable for Intellectual schools students, the assessment of students’ achievements for whom are conducted on the basis of improved criteria- based assessment model implemented in accordance with the schedule (appendix 1 to this Rules).
- The following definitions are used in these Rules:
- descriptor – a characteristic describing the action during conducting the task;
- criteria-based assessment – the process based on the comparison of actual students achievements with expected outcomes on the basis of clearly defined criteria;
- assessment criteria – characteristic on the basis of which assessment of students achievements is conducted;
- moderation – discussion process of students’ summative assessment papers for term with the purpose of marks standardization to provide reliability and transparency of assessment;
- student portfolio is a way to register, collect individual student achievements by subject for academic year;
- rubrics – the way of describing students’ academic achievements in accordance with assessment criteria;
- cross-cutting theme of subject program – unified cross-cutting component of subject program, used as an instrument for integration of knowledge and skills from different subject areas in order to achieve learning objective of specific subject program;
- specification of summative assessment for term – requirements to the structure and content of summative assessment for term and its conducting;
- summative work – students’ work designed for determining the level of students’ achievements by subject for section/cross-cutting theme of subject program and particular subject period (term, academic year, level of education);
- summative assessment – assessment type conducted after completion of section/cross-cutting theme of subject program, particular academic period (term, academic year, level of education);
- mark scheme – scheme used by teachers for setting unified marking standards for summative assessment tasks for term, academic year;
- level of academic achievements of students – the level of development of academic achievements of students in accordance with assessment criteria;
- formative assessment – type of assessment which is carried out during academic year, is needed for feedback between teachers and students and help to correct learning timely;
- learning objectives – statements phrasing the expectations of knowledge, skills, understanding and dispositions the learner acquires through the course of subject study in accordance with the subject programme;
- electronic register for criteria-based assessment – electronic document where summative assessment results (for section/cross-cutting theme, term) are shown and automatic calculation and transfer of marks on the basis of formula for termly, annual and final grades is made;
- students with special needs – a student who has congenital disorder or acquired disease (temporary incapacity, disability);
- providing special arrangements – organization of special conditions for students with special needs during summative
- Criteria-based assessment of students’ academic achievements is conducted for all subject programs with the aim to check the level of learning of subject program
- Criteria-based assessment system includes formative assessment and summative assessment
2. Formative assessment procedure
- Formative assessment determines the level of knowledge and skills gained in the learning process, allow to uncover difficulties and help in achieving learning objectives by subject
- During formative assessment, the provision of feedback by the teachers of the Intellectual Schools to the student is
- Formative assessment is carried out using different ways and methods (questionnaire, practical work, laboratory work, project, test and etc.) on the different levels of academic activity (process of topic explaining, accomplishing tasks, checking the tasks, ).
- Individual, paired and group forms of work organization is
- In the result of formative assessment teacher timely corrects academic process, reduce possible gaps and errors of students before conducting external summative
- During formative assessment students achieve learning objectives in accordance with subject programs by
- In case of absence of student by reasonable excuse (illness, death of close relatives, participation in conferences, competitions and scientific competitions), missed material should be learned during two weeks with subsequent achievement of learning objectives after arriving the student to Intellectual
- Results of formative assessment are not taken into account during calculating termly and annual
3. Summative assessment procedure
- Summative assessment is conducted with the aim to determine the level of students’ academic achievement after completing learning sections/cross-cutting themes of subject program and particular academic period (term, academic year) with marking and grading. As a results of summative assessment information is provided on the progress of students’ academic achievements to teachers, students, parents and other legal
- Summative assessment is conducted for all subjects except “Self- recognition”.
15-1. Summative assessment is not conducted for subject “Physical training”. 15-2. Summative assessment for term is not conducted in term 4 for external
summative assessment subjects.
- Intellectual school teachers develop summative assessment tasks for section/cross-cutting themes of subject program on the basis of subject program and lesson plan by
- Methodical units in Intellectual Schools develop summative papers for term and mark schemes based on the subject programmes, subject plans and summative assessment specifications for term developed by the AEO branch “Centre of pedagogical measurements” and recommended by the Methodological Council of AEO.
- The AEO branch “Centre of pedagogical measurements” (hereinafter – CPM) together with Intellectual school teachers carries out an online expertise of the designed summative papers for term and mark schemes in the section “Assessment” on web-site “Base of pedagogical knowledge” (sk.nis.edu.kz).
- Summative papers for term and mark schemes are approved by order of the Intellectual school
19-1. For subjects with weakly loading of 1-2 hours the summative assessment for term in not exceeding 40 minutes. For subjects with weakly loading of 3 hours and more the summative assessment for term is not exceeding 80 minutes. This norm of timing is not applied for “Language and Literature” subject areas. The amount of time allocated for carrying out summative assessment on “Language and Literature” is regulated in a mark scheme for a term. Assessment of “speaking”/ “listening and speaking” skill should be conducted during the week of summative assessment.
- The schedule of summative assessment for term by subject shall be approved by the Order of the Intellectual School Principal in accordance with timeline set in the Assessment Politics of students’ academic achievements of AEO “Nazarbayev Intellectual schools”, approved by the Decision of the Board of AEO “Nazarbayev Intellectual schools” and communicated to teachers, students, parents or other legal representatives at the beginning of the term. No more than 2 summative works for term should be conducted in a
20-1. In case of circumstances outside one’s control, i.e. extreme and unavoidable circumstances (acts of God, warfare, etc.) providing that these circumstances are beyond the control of the parties and made impossible the conducting and summative assessment for term in set schedule, it is possible to change the schedule of summative assessment for term on the basis of Order of School Principle.
- Summative assessment for section/cross-cutting theme and term is compulsory for all
21-1. The Intellectual School establishes and approves the schedule of summative assessment for the section/cross-cutting theme independently by the minute of the methodical unit’s meeting.
- The second sitting (rewriting) of summative assessment for section/cross- cutting theme, term and year shall not be
- In case of student absence during summative assessment for section/cross- cutting theme and/or term due to a reasonable excuse (illness, death of close relatives, participation in conferences and scientific competitions), student should complete it after the appearance at school within two week time. In this case additional variants of summative assessment task for section/cross-cutting theme is
In case of student absence during summative assessment for section/cross- cutting theme and/or term with no reasonable excuse (without medical certificate of established form, Order of School Principal) the summative work should be assessed with 0 mark.
In case of breach of academic honesty principles during summative assessment the measurements should be applied covered by the Rules of Academic Honesty and Rules of internal order for NIS students.
23-1. When transferring a student within the Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools network, the host Intellectual School determines the difference between the subjects of the NIS-Programme and the International Baccalaureate program based on the list of studied subjects reflected in the Model curriculum of the Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools affiliates, approved by the Board of AEO Nazarbayev Intellectual schools and in report cards. Within a week, the host Intellectual School draws up a schedule of individual lessons (hereinafter – the schedule) on subjects have not been studied by student. Student studies in accordance with the schedule and subsequently undertakes summative assessment for sections/cross-cutting themes and summative assessment for a quarter for the corresponding period of study in a deadline no later than August 25 of the current year.
- Marks for summative assessment for section/cross-cutting theme are given in accordance with descriptors, summative assessment marks for term are given in accordance with mark
- To ensure objectiveness and transparency of assessment of students’ results teachers conduct moderation process of summative work for
- Summative works for term with mark schemes are kept in students’ portfolio. Teachers keep summative works for section/cross-cutting theme with assessment criteria and
- Tutors are responsible for maintenance and safety of students’
- Students’ portfolios are individual and must be accessible for all teachers, administration, parents and other legal
- Students’ portfolios should be kept in Intellectual school during one academic year.
- On completion of each academic year students’ portfolios should be destroyed in accordance with acts as provided in appendix 1-1 to these
30-1. In case of transfer of student to other Nazarbayev Intellectual school, student’s portfolio should be given to his/her parents or other legal representatives together with personal records of student.
4. Moderation procedure for summative assessment for term
- Moderation of summative assessment for term is intended to discuss the results of summative assessment papers to standardize the
- Moderation is conducted by teachers of one subject and one
- Moderation is carried out at the end of each term. The time between summative assessment for term and moderation should not exceed 3 working days. The results for summative assessment paper for term can be changed following the moderation.
- School administration together with the Heads of Methodical Units shall plan the time and venue for moderation in advance, approve the Moderation Meetings Chairperson, who will regulate the process of discussion. Moderation Meetings Chairperson can be a Head of Methodical Unit or any other
- Before moderation the summative works of students for term (hereinafter – papers) should be preliminary checked by
Teachers choose three papers from the checked papers, encrypt them and prepare their copies for discussion during the moderation meeting.
Papers with maximum and minimum marks are chosen in accordance with the mark scheme and paper which cause difficulties in marking. If a teacher teach in several classes in one parallel, papers are chosen from the total number of papers.
- On the Moderation meetings, teachers discuss marks in accordance with mark scheme. If necessary, changes and amendments can be made to mark
- As a result of moderation, marks for students’ summative works which were agreed on the Moderation meeting should be put using mark schemes. Students’ works, which are subject to amendments, should be re-checked by teachers. Summative assessment mark as a result of moderation can be changed both by increasing or
- After moderation is complete Meeting Minutes should be signed as a result of moderation of summative assessment for term in accordance with the form shown in Appendix 2 to this Rules. Minutes should be kept with the Head of Methodical Unit.
5. Termly and annual grades awarding procedure
- Attendance of lessons by students during academic term, lesson topics and results of students in the form of termly and annual grade using marks transfer scale in accordance with Appendix 3 to these Rules are recorded in
- Results of students for summative assessment for section/cross-cutting theme and term in marks are recorder in e-register of criteria-based assessment (hereinafter – e-register) and should be taken into account during calculating termly and annual
- Information as a result of summative assessment for section/cross-cutting theme is presented to students and parents or other legal representatives in the form of rubrics with description of levels of academic achievement in electronic form using criteria-based assessment log in the information system “Unified information educational environment” of Autonomous Educational Organization “Nazarbayev Intellectual
- Transcript of student progress with termly and annual grades is presented to parents and other legal representatives for familiarization prior to week till the end of each term and academic
- In the first half of the year of Grade 1 summative assessment of the level of adoption of study material is not conducted. Termly grades are given only for terms 3 and
- Termly and annual grades awarding procedure on subjects which are not externally assessed:
- Termly grade is given on the basis of summative assessment results for section/cross-cutting theme and term in the ratio of 50%/50%.
Termly grade for “Physical training” is given on the basis of results for section/cross-cutting theme and term.
- Annual grade is given on the basis of results for four terms for summative assessment for section/cross-cutting theme and term in the ratio of 50%/50%.
In Grade 1 the annual grade is given on the basis of results for terms 3 and 4 for summative assessment for section/cross-cutting theme and term in the ratio of 50%/50%.
44-1. Termly and annual grades awarding procedure on subjects for students accepted for study in Intellectual school:
- Termly grade is given on the basis of termly grade awarded in educational institution provided that student present documents proving mastery of
- Annual grade is calculated as an arithmetic mean value of the sum of termly grades (in accordance with 5-points system) for terms/semesters, except for cases shown in paragraph 3 article
- Termly and annual grades awarding procedure on subjects for students
accepted for study in the end of term 4, as well as in time of summative assessment for term on subjects which were not studied by students:
- Termly grade is given on the basis of summative assessment results. In the period of summer holidays, Intellectual school organizes additional lessons, prepares self-study programme, provides online support. Summative works by subjects is developed by Intellectual school on learnt themes and conducted not later than August, 25th of the current year;
- Annual grade is given on the basis of results for summative assessment for term
- excluded; 47-1. excluded;
47-2. Termly and annual grades awarding procedure on subjects, which have not been studied by students due to the transfer within the Intellectual schools network:
- Termly and annual grades are given in accordance with the procedure shown in article 44 of these
6. Students transfer to the next Grade
- Students mastered the content of subject programs in subjects of NIS- Programme successfully shall be transferred to the next grade by the Decision of the Pedagogical Council of Intellectual
- Students in Grades 1 shall not be retained to the second year of study, except for the students who may be left for the second year by the recommendation of psychological, medical and pedagogical consultation and in agreement with the parents or other legal
- Students of Grades 1-4, 7-9 who are awarded with grade “5” in all subjects shall be awarded with a Certificate of Honours based on the Decision of the Pedagogical Council.
- If students are exempt from attending Physical Education due to health problems, it shall not affect their transfer to next
7. Student achievements monitoring
- In order to assess student achievements, CPM monitors student achievement. The list of subjects and grades in which monitoring will take place, the form of monitoring and the timeline shall be approved by the Order of the AEO Chairperson at the beginning of each academic year in accordance with the Nazarbayev Intellectual schools Students Achievements Assessment Policy approved by the decision of AEO
- Student achievements monitoring can be administered in different forms (tests, written papers, ).
- Following the monitoring individual reports with the results of student achievements monitoring shall be communicated to teachers, students, parents or other legal
- The results of student achievements monitoring shall be used by teachers to adjust the learning
8. Procedure for assessment of students’ achievements who are studying in the form of external education
- Students studying in the form of external education should provide three summative works during each term, the content of which should cover subject program by subject for corresponding
Summative works should be accomplished in the following form:
- By subjects which were not taught in the foreign educational institution;
- By subjects which are taught in the foreign educational institution, but their subject program content is not comparable with NIS-program.
Development of summative work shall be carried out by the Intellectual School.
The results of summative assessment are recorded in the electronic register for criteria-based assessment.
Assessment of subjects “Physical Training”, “Arts” shall not be carried out, and in the degree certificate they are recorded as “not studied”.
In case of studying “Physical Training”, “Arts” in the foreign educational institution, an annual grade should be put in the degree certificate providing the documents confirming coverage of subject programs on these subjects.
- Students studying in the form of external education full academic year, including continuously study for 2 (3) years, grades (marks) for term is not
- Annual grades for students studying in the form of external education full academic year, including students studying in the form of external education continuously during 2 (3) years should be awarded in the following order:
- Grades (marks) by subjects which were learned in the foreign educational institution are the basis for awarding annual grades in case of providing the documents confirming mastering of subject programs in foreign educational institution and taking into account that their subject program is comparable with NIS-
In case when there is no comparability of subject programs with NIS-program, annual grades are awarded in the order set for subjects which were not taught in the foreign educational institution.
- For subjects which were not studied in the foreign educational institutions, annual grades are awarded on the basis of summative assessment results which should be accomplished three times per term during the year. Annual grade is calculated as arithmetic mean of sum of
- Termly and annual grades students who returned to Intellectual school during the year are awarded in the following order:
- Termly grade is awarded on the basis of summative assessment result for the period of study in Intellectual school;
- Annual grade by subject which were learned in the foreign educational institution is awarded taking into account summative assessment results for the period of study in Intellectual school and grades (marks), awarded in foreign educational institution providing the documents confirming mastering of subject programs in foreign educational institution and taking into account that their subject program is comparable with NIS-program. Annual grade is calculated as arithmetic mean of sum of marks for terms (in accordance with 5-points system). In case of dispute rounding of grade is made for increasing. In case when there is no comparability of subject programs, annual grades are awarded in the order set for subjects which were not taught in the foreign educational
- Annual grades for subjects which were not studied in the foreign educational institution are awarded on the basis of summative assessment results for four terms. Annual grade is calculated as arithmetic mean of sum of marks for terms (in accordance with 5-points system).
9. Procedure for assessment of students’ achievements who are provided with academic leave
- Students who were in academic leave and returned to Intellectual school before the end of academic year should be assessed in the following way:
- termly grade on the basis of summative assessment results for section/cross- cutting theme and term in the ration 50% to 50%;
- annual grade is given on the basis of summative assessment results for section/cross-cutting theme and term in the ration 50% to 50% for the period of study in Intellectual
- Students who were in academic leave and returned to Intellectual school after the end of academic year should pass summative assessment for academic year by subjects not later than 25th of August of current year, except for students who continue study in the same grade as when they take an academic
Summative work for year should be developed and conducted by Intellectual school. Results of summative assessment are the basis for awarding annual grade.
10. Procedure of providing special arrangements to students with special needs
- Special arrangements are organized for students with special needs during summative assessment in accordance with Appendix 5 of these Rules providing approving documents (Medical consultative board’s conclusion, Medical and social assessment conclusion according to the place of residence or Reference from specialized medical organizations).
- Applying special arrangements for students with special needs should be approved the Intellectual school Principal’s
- Summative assessment marks and grades for students with special needs are given in accordance with the procedure established in these
- Providing special conditions for students with special needs should not give baseless advantage above other
Schedule for implementation of improved model of criteria-based assessment
Intellectual school name
|Intellectual schools of Physics and Mathematics in Nur-Sultan, Semey, Aktobe, Shymkent, Uralsk, Taraz, Almaty, Kostanay,
Intellectual schools of Chemistry and Biology in Ust- Kamenogorsk, Karaganda, Shymkent, Pavlodar, Kyzylorda, Atyrau, Aktau, Almaty,
|2||Intellectual schools of Physics
and Mathematics in Kokshetau, Тaldykorgan
Scale for marks transfer into grades
|Ratio of marks for
|Grade 1||Grades 2-11|
Types of special conditions for students with special requirements*
- Extra time: A percentage of extra time for the candidate to complete an examination, usually up to 25 per cent of summative assessment time, if a student has dysopsia (blind, starblind), paracousis (deaf), with locomotor apparatus disorder and achrestic ill students with diabetes;
- Reader: A responsible adult who reads the questions to the student, if he/she has constant or temporary dysopsia.
- Scribe: A responsible adult who writes down a candidate’s dictated answers, if a student has physical disability or recent injury;
- Prompter: A responsible adult who may sit beside the candidate in order to keep the candidate focused on the task and then move on to the next task. Prompter is needed for students who have neurological or cognitive disorder, which affect attention or have imperative conception when a student read the same task several times instead of moving on to the next task;
- Supervised rest breaks: A student is allowed to stop the examination to rest and then return to the examination. The time during the break is not included to the exam duration;
- Practical assistant: A responsible adult who carries out practical tasks in accordance with the instruction of the student whose physical ability do not give him/her the possibility to conduct practical part by him/herself;
- Separate invigilation: A student completes examinations in a separate room with an invigilator to make sure that other students are not disturbed by the
- Reading aloud: A student is allowed to read the question paper out loud. This requires separate
- Magnifying glass: A student is permitted to use magnifying glass to overcome visual perception
- Colour naming: Colour blind candidates may ask the invigilator to name
* during summative assessment students can be provided with more than one type of special conditions.